What are the new features in the HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8?
The new DL160 Gen8 has an array of improved, robust features which sets it apart from prior generations and the competition. This 1U server is now available with the following technology enhancements:
- HP iLO Management Engine across all HP ProLiant Gen8 servers: HP iLO, HP Intelligent Provisioning, HP Agentless Management, HP Active Health System and HP embedded Remote Support
- Intel Xeon E5-2600 product family with up to 8 cores, 80 PCIe3 lanes, four memory channels and two QPI links for high performance and I/O expandability -x16 PCI-Express 2.0 slot
- Easily upgrade your firmware using HP Service Pack for ProLiant: It now has predictable cadence (for operational stability), flexible/ structure process and extended plus consolidated test lifecycle
- New HP Smart Storage family of controllers and drives: Simplifies infrastructure management, reduces serviceability errors, enhances data availability, performance and storage density
- Enhanced networking capabilities in the form of FlexibleLOM slot: Compared to last generation DL160 Gen8 offers one more PCIe slot for FlexibleLOM
Who are the primary target customers for HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8?
DL160 Gen8 is primarily targeted to high performance computing, service providers and other hyperscale customers. High price performance feature also make it suited for SMB and low cost enterprises who do not care about power supply redundancy.
What memory does the HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8 support?
DL160 Gen8 has 24 DIMM slot. It supports Registered and Unbufferred DIMMs (RDIMM and UDIMM). Up to 768GB of memory is supported.
Please see the DL160 Gen8 QuickSpecs for additional information. (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13247_div/13247_div.html)
What server management software and features are supported on the HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8?
HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8 now supports HP iLO Management Engine. It brings in HP Intelligent Provisioning for quick deployment and update, HP Agentless Management for hardware monitoring and alerting capabilities, HP Active Health System to minimize downtime and HP embedded Remote Support for easy set-up and configuration.
How does the new HP Smart Storage technology improve customer experience in Gen8?
Every business needs continued access to information to operate, HP Smart Storage is foundational technology for assured access to your data, it consists of the storage ecosystem including controllers, drives and disk enclosures and management application.
HP Smart Storage improves IT experience:
- Simplifies infrastructure management
- Reduces serviceability errors
- Enhances data availability
- Increases performance
- Increases storage density
What value do the Intel E5-2600 product family add from the HPC perspective?
Intel E5-2600 product family improve the performance and scalability for compute and B/W sensitive applications.
Below are some improvements over the last generation:
- Double the FLOPS
- Higher core count – up to 8
- Additional memory channels Support up to 1600MHz
- Up to 100% Faster QPI
- 40 lanes PCIe * 3.0 per socket
- Increased cache size - up to 2.5MB per core
What does next gen HP Racks look like?
With Gen8, HP Racks are the new cornerstone to reliably cool, power, connect and manage:
- High 65%+ airflow efficiency increases server reliability and reduces cooling cost
- Superior cooling of servers, storage and networking with longer 1075mm depth
- HP Location Services ready to automatically know ProLiant Gen8 server location
- Leading 2,300lbs dynamic load capacity to ship populated racks via Factory Express
- Elegant new design
Installation into Telco racks requires a 3rd party option kit. (http://www.racksolutions.com/hp/)
What is the new FlexibleLOM feature that DL160 Gen8 offers?
Apart from the embedded network adapter, DL160 Gen8 has one more networking slot which gives customers the flexibility to do 1Gb and 10Gb networking upgrade without having to burn the PCIe slot.
What is Multi-Core Processor Technology?
The HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8 supports up to two 8 core Intel Xeon E5-2600 product family processors. Multi-core allows physical execution units, or cores, to be integrated onto a single physical processor. On the DL160 Gen8, multi-core processors are plugged into one of two sockets and have 4 or 6 or 8 processor cores running at the same frequency. Multi-core technology increases throughput of the processor and can help deliver enhanced power efficiency.
What is the warranty on this product?
The HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8 offers a worldwide limited warranty that includes 3 year parts only warranty. Labor and onsite support can be obtained through a variety of upgrades that are available through HP Care Packs. For APJ region warranty is 3 years part, 1 year labor and 1 year onsite support.
What service offerings are recommended?
HP recommends customers purchase for deployment, HP Care Pack hardware installation and same day 13x5 hardware support combined with software technical support for operating system and management software. This combination provides ready access to technical expertise, will help minimize downtime, and enable customers to focus on their core business.
For a complete list of Support Services that are available, visit: http://www.hp.com/services/proliant
What are the system health LEDs used for? What do the different colors mean (green, red, amber)?
The front panel LEDs are used to help diagnose a server failure. When an internal component fails, the indication is made on the front panel. If the item is serviceable by removing the hood, as in the case of a fan failure, the Internal Health LED will illuminate.
If no failures have occurred, the system health LEDs will be green. If a failure has occurred, but a redundant feature has enabled the system to continue running, the LED will be amber. If the failure is critical and is/has caused the system to shutdown, the LED will be red. These LEDs serve as local indicators for several failure conditions. Insight Manager will continue to report these, and many other failure conditions, as well.
*Except where noted, all prices are estimated U.S. HP prices. Actual prices from other locations or websites may vary.
** Leasing information, where displayed, is for a 48-month lease. Shipping and tax not included. Details