HP G62-a12SO Notebook PC support
Using the DigitalPersona Fingerprint Reader (Windows 7)
This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows 7.
Some notebooks come with a Digital Fingerprint Reader. The fingerprint reader is a small sensor located near the keyboard or display. Typically, you would log into Windows, a network, or a website by using a user name and a password. However, if you have a Digital Fingerprint Reader, you can also log in by swiping your fingertip on the fingerprint reader. Using the Digital Fingerprint Reader is a more secure way of protecting your computer because your fingerprint is unique, and it will not allow anyone else to use your user name or password.
Before using the Digital Fingerprint Reader, you first need to:
- Verify that DigitalPersona software is installed
- Register your fingerprints with DigitalPersona software
- Manage fingerprint access to your favorite web sites
Verify that DigitalPersona Personal is installed
To open DigitalPersona Personal, follow the steps below:
- Click Start , enter Digital into the search field, and select DigitalPersona Personal when it becomes available in the list.If DigitalPersona Personal is not in the search list, download and install the software from the HP Support and Drivers web site for your model notebook.
- Enter your Windows login information, and then press enter to access the program.
Register your fingerprints
Assuming that DigitalPersona Personal is installed on your computer, the next step is to enroll your fingertips with the software. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open DigitalPersona Personal and verify your user name and password to access the program.
- Click Enroll fingerprints .
- Select a finger from one of the model hands, and then swipe your fingertip downward on the Digital Fingerprint Reader.Adjust the speed of how fast or slow you swipe your fingertip on the Digital Fingerprint Reader until the fingertip is recognized and accepted. You will need to swipe your fingertip 4 times to register the fingerprint with the program.
- Click Save to save your fingerprint.
- To add another fingerprint, repeat steps 3 and 4.
- To exit back to the main menu, click Home .
Manage fingerprint access to login web sites
Once you have enrolled your fingerprint(s), you can register to have fingerprint access to your favorite web sites that require an online account. To manage these web sites, follow the steps below:
Register fingerprint access to your login web sites
- Open a web browser, and then navigate to the login page of your favorite websiteSince you have registered at least one fingerprint, there will be a blue fingerprint icon at the top left corner of any login page.
- Click the arrow on the fingerprint icon, and then select Add New Account .
- Enter your login information into the new window, and then click OK to save your information.
The next time you visit the web site, swipe your registered fingertip to log in.
Organize your web sites
If you have a lot of web sites that you would like to have fingerprint access to, you can organize your web sites by category. For example, you can put all of your email web sites into the same category to keep track of what you have access to. To create categories, follow the steps below:
Edit and delete web sites
To edit login information or delete a web site from fingerprint access, follow the steps below:
- Open DigitalPersona Personal, and then click Manage passwords .
- Click the Manage tab.A list of the web sites that you registered to have fingerprint access will display.
- Click Edit next to one of the web sites from the list to change the login information.
- Click Delete next to one of the web sites from the list to delete the web site from fingerprint access.
Once you have registered your fingerprint(s) and web sites with DigitalPersona Personal, you can log in to Windows and your favorite web sites by swiping your fingertip on the reader.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum