HP printer Icon is Missing in Devices and Printers After a Network Installation in Windows 7
When you open the Devices and Printers window, the HP printer icon is missing. However, the printer is functioning correctly.
Follow these steps to uninstall the software, update Windows 7, and then reinstall the software.
Step one: Uninstall the HP printer software
- On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon (), and then click Programs. A list of programs installed on your computer displays.
- Click the HP folder, and then click the folder with the name and model number of your printer.
- Click Uninstall, and then follow the on-screen instructions. The software uninstalls.
Step two: Make sure Windows 7 has the most recent updates
- On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon (), click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install all non-optional Windows updates.
Step three: Download and install the HP printer software
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads .
- If the Welcome to HP Support page opens, follow these steps:
- In the Enter product name or number field, type your printer model or number.
- In the Questions or keywords field, type driver, and then press Enter.You might need to select your printer model number from a list of similar printer models.
- Next to the image of your printer, click the name of your printer.
- On the HP support site, click Drivers.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.A list of drivers and other downloads display.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver - Product Installation Software.
- Click Download next to the full feature software and driver listed, and then follow the prompts to save the driver to your computer.
- Open the folder where the software file saved (usually Downloads), double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
Related support links
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum