HP CD-Writer 8200 series support
Purchasing a Replacement AC Adapter
The AC adapter is used to recharge the battery in a notebook and to provide dependable power for operating the notebook for long periods of time. If an AC adapter fails it will not recharge the battery and it will not provide power to operate the notebook without a battery.
If the original power adapter fails, a replacement AC power adaptor, designed for your notebook, can be purchased from HP. You may also want to purchase an extra AC power supply to use your Notebook in an alternate location. HP provides information and tools to help you complete the following tasks:
Test the AC Adapter
Connect the output cord from the AC adapter to the notebook and plug the power cord into a working electrical outlet. Perform one or more of the following tasks to check the operation of the AC power adapter.
Check the power icon in the system tray.
- If the icon resembles a power cord, and if moving the cursor over the icon displays the On AC Power message, the AC adapter is operating properly.
- If the icon resembles a battery when the AC adapter is connected, the adapter is defective.
Check if the AC power adapter can operate the notebook when the battery is removed.
- Do a normal shutdown of the PC.
- Remove the battery from the Notebook.
- Connect the power adapter and press the Power button to start the notebook.
- If the PC does not start and operate normally, the AC adapter is defective and must be replaced.
- If the PC does start and operate normally, the AC adapter is working properly
Determine the AC Adapter Part Number
Different notebook models require different AC adapters. You will need to know the Product Number of your notebook to determine the Part Number of the replacement part.
Perform one of the following tasks to find the Product Number of your notebook.
- Click Start , then click Help & Support . The product name, product number, and serial number of the notebook are displayed in the upper left hand corner of the Help and Support home page.
- If the Notebook computer is not powered on, turn it over and locate the HP Service Tag fastened to the back of the notebook. The Product Number (P/N) is printed on this tag. On some Notebook computers, the HP Service Tag is located inside the battery compartment. Remove the battery from the Notebook to view the HP Service Tag information.
- For detailed information on how to find Notebook product names and numbers, see the How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? support document.
Order an AC Adapter On-Line
After you have found the Product Number of the notebook, and have tested the operation of the AC adapter, perform the following steps to order a new AC Adapter.
NOTE:Some countries or regions may not be supported when ordering parts from HP.com. See your local HP retailer or contact HP directly to purchase additional batteries or other parts.
- Go to the HP Parts Store .
- Enter your Product Number in the Search by model number field and click the search arrow button to begin the search.NOTE:If needed, remove the suffix from the Product Number (P/N) on the Service Tag and enter the Product Number in the model number field on the order form. For example, P/N DZ357U#ABA is entered as DZ357U .
- When prompted with a list of models for the product, click the appropriate model number .
- When prompted, select Batteries and Adapters in the Category search field and click the search arrow button to begin the search.
- The name of the AC Adapter for your Notebook PC will be presented in a part list with the cost. Select the quantity and check the box in the last column.
- Click Place order and enter the required shipping and payment data.Or click Add to cart to add the part and continue shopping for other parts.