Color Images Print in Black and White
The document displays in color on the computer screen, but prints in black and white.
Follow these steps in the order presented until you resolve the issue.
Step one: Check the ink level in the color or photo cartridge
If the quality of your color printouts has been diminishing over time, the color or photo cartridge is probably empty, and you should replace the cartridge.
Step two: Check the color cartridge
To purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer, go to HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country/region location is correct.
Genuine HP cartridges can also be purchased from other retailers.
- Open the top cover of the printer and remove the color or photo cartridge.
- Make sure that you are using the correct cartridge for your printer. If the correct cartridge is installed, make sure that you have removed the tape from the cartridge nozzle.
- Insert the cartridge firmly back in the carriage and close the latch.
- Close the printer door.
- Try printing again.
Step three: Check the print settings
- In the software application that you are using to print, click the File menu.
- Click Print. The Print dialog box opens.
- Make sure that the name of the HP printer you are using displays in the printer Name box. If necessary, use the drop-down list to select your printer.
- Click the Properties button. The Properties dialog box opens.
- Check the options on the property tabs to make sure that the appropriate color options are selected.If there is a checkmark in the box by Print in Grayscale, click in the box to remove the checkmark, and then click OK.
- Try printing again.
Step four: Print in a different software program
- Open a different software program.
- Create a new simple file that contains color.
- Try printing the file. If the colors print, the file in the original software program might be corrupted.
Step five: Install the most current printer driver
You might need to install a current printer driver on your computer. Some older printer drivers are not capable of printing color.
- Bookmark this page or make note of the steps in this procedure, and then go to http://www.hp.com/cposupport/software.html . The Get Software and Drivers window opens.
- Type your product number, and then click Next to continue. The Select your operating system window opens.
- Click your computer operating system. The Select software and drivers window opens.
- In the Driver section, review the list of available driver downloads, and then click the driver that meets your needs.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the software.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Deskjet Printers -- Using the HP Toolbox to Align or Clean Ink Cartridges in Microsoft(R) Windows XP
HP Single-Function Printers -- The Driver for Your Product Is Included in the Windows Vista Operating System