Replacing the Ink Cartridges
Follow the instructions below to replace the ink cartridges.
To purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer, go to HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country/region location is correct.
Genuine HP cartridges can also be purchased from other retailers.
This document applies to the following products:
- 5610, 5610v, 5610xi
Replace the cartridges
This video is provided as a supplement to the instructions in this document. For best quality on dial-up connections, wait until the video has fully loaded before viewing.
NOTE:Flash Player from Macromedia is required to view this video. If needed, visit the Macromedia Web site (in English) to download and install Flash. Click here to go to the Macromedia Web site.
Step one: Remove the cartridges
- Make sure the HP All-in-One is on. Press the On button to turn on the HP All-in-One. The On button is lit when the HP All-in-One is on.CAUTION:If the HP All-in-One is off when you open the print-carriage access door to access the print cartridges, the HP All-in-One will not release the cartridges for changing. You might damage the HP All-in-One if the print cartridges are not docked safely on the right side when you try to remove them.
- Open the print-carriage access door by pulling it forward. The print carriage moves to the far right side of the HP All-in-One.
- Wait until the print carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on a print cartridge to release it.If you are replacing the tri-color print cartridge, remove the print cartridge from the slot on the left.If you are replacing the black or photo print cartridge, remove the print cartridge from the slot on the right.
- Pull the print cartridge toward you out of its slot.
Step two: Install the new print cartridge
- Remove the new print cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch only the black plastic, gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.Figure 5: Remove the tape1 - Copper-colored contacts2 - Plastic tape with pink pull tab (must be removed before installing)3 - Ink nozzles under tape
- Slide the new print cartridge forward into the empty slot. Then gently push on the upper part of the print cartridge forward until it clicks into the socket.If you are installing the tri-color print cartridge, slide it into the left slot.If you are installing a black or photo print cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
- Close the print-carriage access door.
Step three: Align the print cartridges
The HP All-in-One prompts you to align cartridges every time you install or replace a print cartridge. Use the following steps to align the print cartridges from the control panel.
- Make sure you have letter or A4 unused plain white paper loaded in the input tray, and then press OK.
- The HP All-in-One prints a print cartridge alignment sheet.NOTE:If you have colored paper loaded in the input tray when you align the print cartridges, the alignment will fail. Load unused plain white paper into the input tray, and then try the alignment again.
- Lift the lid. Place the top of the alignment page face down in the left front corner of the scanner glass. Close the lid.
- Press OK to begin the alignment.
- The HP All-in-One aligns the print cartridges. Recycle or discard the print cartridge alignment sheet.
Other solutions customers found helpful
-- 'Incorrect Print Cartridge' or 'Print Cartridge Problem' Message Displays on the Printer Control Panel for HP Officejet 5600 All-in-One Printer Series